So excited to share my closet with you today!!!! I feel like it is very me so its a space I love to be in when it is clean ha ha, which we all know how closets get so yeah it doesn't always look like this! Often there are clothes piled on that couch. I wanted to share some of my favorite pieces and a bit about the space so keep reading to hear more about that. But I do want to share some of the overall details before I get into all that! I collaborated with Classy Closets for my closet - I had quite a few people recommend them so I reached out to them and they were soooo wonderful to work with. In building a home you really realize how hard some companies can be to work with but they were super on top of everything. My sister also just had them do all the cabinetry for her garage so they also do stuff like that and not just closets! So a huge thank you so Classy Closets for making my closet dreams come true and Becki Owens for helping with the layout!
YOU GUYS!!! So excited to share my closet with you today!!!! I feel like it is very me so its a space I love to be in when it is clean ha ha, which we all know how closets get so yeah it doesn’t always look like this! Often there are clothes piled on that couch. I wanted to share some of my favorite pieces and a bit about the space so keep reading to hear more about that. But I do want to share some of the overall details before I get into all that! I collaborated with Classy Closets for my closet – I had quite a few people recommend them so I reached out to them and they were soooo wonderful to work with. In building a home you really realize how hard some companies can be to work with but they were super on top of everything. My sister also just had them do all the cabinetry for her garage so they also do stuff like that and not just closets! So a huge thank you so Classy Closets for making my closet dreams come true and Becki Owens for helping with the layout!
The other thing I wanted to talk about was the art I have hanging above my couch! When I saw it I HAD to have it – you know when they say something speaks to you?! That was that feeling. I felt like it perfectly represented the transformations my body has been through and was going through when I was decorating and settling into our home.. and since this is my personal space in the home it felt like a very special place to put it. I am so so so in love with it and I kind of decorated the room around that piece 🙂 The piece is by Anna Kövecses
What I am Wearing:
My Style Evolution
Since David and I got married we have moved quite a bit of times.. and each time we move I (obviously) have to pack up my clothes which as always makes you question whether a piece is worth packing or not. Time after time I would end up with a donate pile of clothes that I would go to donate. And each time we noticed a common theme: the pieces were printed or trendy. The pieces that have remained in my closet for years and years are (for the most part) solid colors and pieces that are versatile and can easily be paired with multiple items and reworn again and again in new ways. Not to say I don’t still have printed pieces I treasure and won’t ever buy a printed piece again.. but hopefully you get what I am saying. I wanted more of the simple pieces that I can get away with wearing 3 or more times in a week and if I am going to buy a printed dress or something I want to make sure its something I love enough where I am like whatever I am wearing this on repeat because I love it so much. So I made a goal to ask myself the following questions before I buy a piece of clothing…
1. Is this an impulse buy? .. I usually can figure this one out by adding it to my cart and checking back in a few days to see if I still want it, or if I even remember to check back!
2. Is this trendy? .. if it is and I still feel like I really love the trend and want to have it, I make sure to just get ONE item in that trend and don’t go too crazy getting multiple.
3. Will this be in my closet in five+ years? I try to buy pieces I can wear through all the seasons of my life.. Ideally my dresses will be good for nursing or pregnancy or they will have elastic waistbands for my postpartum body or something that is simple and classic enough it can evolve as I evolve as a person.
4. How many ways can I wear this? Ideally something I buy can be worn multiple ways. I have tried to limit the amount of statement pieces I buy because I just had too many statement pieces that didn’t get enough wear. I still LOVVVE printed dresses so this has been harder to limit and if it feels super special I will still maybe get it but I have gotten better at figuring out what is fun right now and what is special. One of my exceptions to this is when I see a really good leopard print – I just cannot handle my obsession and have loved leopard for years and really can’t see myself growing out of it. I think that is one of the classic prints that just always feels so fun to me.
5. is it practical for my lifestyle? as much as I sometimes wish I could get super dressed up, most of the time I am doing school drop off, taking kids to swim lessons, going to the gym or the office, running errands, taking the kids to the park, etc. so what is practical for me is comfy dresses that look cute with sandals/loafers/sneakers or any comfy shoe I can slip on and go all day in, soft fabrics for pants and skirts, tee’s and jeans… you get the point. Not to say I don’t have my pieces I save for date night because I think its important to have those special pieces you feel extra good in for those occasions but I just try to keep this in mind when I buy something.
My 8 Closet Must-Haves
These are my 8 closet must haves .. these are pieces I can wear SO many different ways and are classics that I want to always have in my closet:
1. Wrap skirt – I got this wrap skirt from Na Nin Vintage in white and black and can’t tell you how many times I have worn this! It is so pretty with a blouse or even a graphic tee and sneakers.
2. Oversized button up – I have this linen blend button up from Posse in all 4 colors and seriously wear them all the time! So cute with jeans, with a skirt, over a swimsuit.. I mean you can really wear it soooo many ways and I am just obsessed.
3. Oversized blazer – I clearly like things a little oversized and I definitely love a blazer oversized. I love a linen blend blazer because they are more lightweight and look a bit more casual which is more my style. I bought this one from Other Stories recently and absolutely love it. It comes in 3 colors too.
4. Comfy jeans – for me I love Levi’s in 2 sizes bigger than normal. I think they already run pretty small so in any other brand I think it would be just one size bigger but I lovvve having a pair of loose jeans that I can wear all day without being uncomfortable. I always need a little stretch in mine too – some Levi’s don’t have enough stretch. I love this pair and this is basically the only pair of jeans I have worn for the last 4 months haha.
5. Graphic tee’s – I think graphic tees are such a simple and (usually) an inexpensive way to add some fun or edge to an outfit. I love a cropped graphic tee with high waisted jeans or tucking one into a comfy skirt. I have about 30 graphic tee’s and love them.
6. Converse sneakers and/or Golden Goose sneakers – I can’t decide which ones I like more and wear them both equal amounts. I love throwing on a simple worn in and dirty sneaker.
7. Linen dresses – my linen dresses have gotten an insane amount of wear. I throw them on to wear around the house, to the beach, on date night.. they are just sooo comfy and pretty. My favorite is to order them from Etsy shops – I have ordered most of mine from Linenfox and notPERFECTLINEN – both have so many great options and are so well made with tons of beautiful colors to choose from!
8. A hat – or lots of hats 😉 man do I love a freaking hat! My favorite hats are either Lack of Color, Janessa Leone or Freya.
My 5 Favorite Places to Shop For Clothes
1. Shopbop – this is almost always my go to
2. Posse – I love everything
3. & Other Stories – they have on trend pieces and classic pieces that are often under $100
4. Etsy – I love to discover new little shops on Etsy
5. Nordstrom – lots of options so I especially go here if I am looking for something specific
All About Hats
I LOVE HATS! So so much. I feel like they add a lot to an outfit and also hide greasy hair on days I don’t want to even touch my hair. Everyone needs a good hat. I have hats I bought 6 years ago .. I keep them for soooo long and if you invest in good ones you’ll get so much use out of them.
I lovvvve accessories! The main accessories I wear are hair accessories, necklaces, and earrings. I don’t wear bracelets or rings very often. Below are some of my favorites..
Favorite places to shop hair accessories:
2. Free People
Our Guest Room
I wanted to keep the room pretty clean and simple so that is exactly what it is. We have a bench at the foot of the bed for guests to put a suitcase on and then we have a little bathroom attached and a closet too. Which has actually become some of our Christmas decor storage haha. I took full advantage of a lot of the Christmas in July sales that went on last month and I ordered a 15 ft Christmas tree that I got I think 40% off!